Monday, August 02, 2010

JUMP!


Michael jumped into his fifth year with a big party.

We celebrated with 45 people and a big bounce house.
It was very hectic, but the party went smoothly. James manned the bounce house and I held down the fort inside. Unfortunately, we did not get too many pictures.


Michael wanted me to make "a cake up to the ceiling." I made as many layers of red velvet cake as I could, but after I had served about half of the cake it started to slide over. I think the cream cheese frosting didn't do well in the heat. Luckily the children had cupcakes and mini cakes after dinner.


My mom surprised us by driving in for his party. She was such a big help. Michael was thrilled to see her, and didn't even notice the huge jar of gourmet olives she brought him. Jesse Jackson is quoted saying, "Children need your presence not your presents." So true.


Cristi, Jackson and Thomson even drove in from Ohio.
Michael enjoyed having his cousins here to share in his special day.



After the party I told him he could pick a couple of presents to open. This is the first year that he will be writing thank-you cards himself. I'm looking forward to teaching him this good habit.


He went straight for the box he knew contained the guitar.

He has been asking for a red guitar for months and months. He has been strumming it every chance he gets. We may have to get him some lessons soon.


On his actual birthday, he requested smoked salmon and capers for breakfast followed by lunch at Houlihan's restaurant. He even had his order ready when the waitress came over: calamari for starters, a shrimp po' boy and parmesan frites.


After lunch we caught a fountain show at Station Square. The kids even took a train ride before going home.


My birthday boy.
I can't believe that my baby is five years old. These have been the most amazing yet challenging years of my life. Michael is a sweet child that lights up our lives everyday.



No comments: